After Socket Bone Grafting
Post-Operative Guidelines for Bone Grafting
Important: Please read the information below to help your recovery from your oral surgery procedure at San Luis Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dental Implant Center. If you have any questions, please call us at: San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611.
- For rapid healing, it is essential that the following directions be adhered to during the first two weeks post-operatively.
- Please take prescribed antibiotics as directed. These are essential to prevent infection.
- Only semi-liquid (mashed) foods are advised during the first six days in order to avoid food particles from lodging in the wound. Soft foods may be added to the diet during the second week. Smoking and consumption of alcoholic beverages should be avoided.
- Do not chew or apply any pressure to the future implant site.
- An elevated head rest (extra pillow) should be used during the first two nights of rest post-operatively to reduce swelling in the area.
- Slight bleeding is to be expected for up to 48 hrs after surgery. If bleeding is excessive, place a roll of gauze on the socket and bite down firmly for 45 minutes. If the bleeding does not stop after doing this, the surgeon should be contacted: San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611.
- The mouth should be thoroughly rinsed with a salt water solution (1 level teaspoon in 8 oz. of warm water) after each meal. An irrigation syringe was provided post operative.
- Commercial mouth washes or sprays should not be used.
- Dentures may NOT be worn until refitted or relined by the dentist. The wearing of dentures may jeopardize a successful healing process. If a prosthetic appliance was provided please remove and clean daily.
- Do not apply any anesthetic agents to the surgical site.
- Do not engage in sports such as scuba diving or snorkel swimming.
- Strict adherence to these instructions may prevent the necessity of surgical closure at some later date.
- Please call our office at San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611 if you have any questions or any unusual occurrences related to the healing of the implant area (24 hour answering service).