After Sinus Lift and Exposure
What is a Sinus Lift (Augmentation):
Your sinus cavity has been augmented (lifted) to allow for placement of dental implants. This is a planned treatment and can be accomplished without complications if you follow the below instructions.
What is a Sinus Exposure:
Your sinus cavity has been exposed as a consequence of the extraction or surgical procedure. The sinus should heal without complications if you follow the below instructions.
Instructions for Healing After Sinus Lift or Sinus Surgery
Important: Please read the information below to help your recovery from your oral surgery procedure at San Luis Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dental Implant Center. If you have any questions, please call us at: San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611 .
- Please take prescribed antibiotics as directed. These are essential to prevent infection.
- Use all medication as directed on your prescription(s).
- Refrain from any vigorous mouth rinsing the first few days.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid heavy mastication (chewing) on surgical site.
- Do not blow your nose. If necessary, wipe or blot your nose with a tissue. Some discharge (perhaps containing blood) may be expected for the first few days.
- Be aware that sneezing may cause sinus back pressure. Do not suppress a sneeze. Heavy pressure with a finger against the upper lip will sometimes break the sneeze reflex. If you must sneeze, open the mouth widely during the sneeze to avoid pressure in the nasal and sinus area.
- Do not engage in water sports.
- Try not to travel by air within the first 72 hours after sinus surgery.
- Do not apply any topical anesthetic agents to the surgical site.
- Strict adherence to these instructions may prevent the necessity of surgical closure at some later date.
Please call our office at San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611 if you have any questions or any unusual occurrences related to the healing of the sinus area (24 hour answering service).