Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Important: Please read the information below to prepare for your oral surgery procedure under general anesthesia at San Luis Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center. If you have any questions, please call us before your appointment: San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611.
Pre-Operative Guidelines for Patients who Desire IV Sedation or General Anesthesia:
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment, including Tic-Tacs, candy, mints, and gum.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Janette prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany you for drop off and pick up. An Uber or Taxi driver will not be accepted.
- You should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours after surgery.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves or sleeves that can be rolled up at the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Remove contact lenses and jewelry prior to surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick or excessive makeup on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach, or bowel upset, please contact our office prior to your surgery.
- No cameras, cell phones, recording or videotaping in surgery or recovery areas. Thank you for respecting the privacy of our patients and staff.
These instructions are for your benefit and safety. Please feel free to discuss any of them with the surgeon. Exceptional circumstances regarding your care can and should be addressed at a consultation visit.