After a Bone Graft
What is a Bone Graft?
A bone graft material is the substance used to build the bone volume necessary for implant placement by helping to regenerate vital bone. A “bone grafting” procedure (before or at the time of implant-placement) can help your body build new bone.
Post-Operative Guidelines for Bone Grafting
Important: Please read the information below to help your recovery from your oral surgery procedure at San Luis Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center. If you have any questions, please call us at: San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611.
For rapid healing, it is essential that the following directions be adhered to during the first two weeks post-operatively.
- Please take prescribed antibiotics as directed. These are essential to prevent infection.
- Do not chew or apply any pressure to the future implant site.
- A diet consisting of soft foods that require minimal chewing is advised for the first six days following the procedure. This is to prevent food particles from becoming lodged in the wound or creating pressure from chewing.
- Smoking and consumption of alcoholic beverages should be avoided.
- To reduce swelling, your head should be elevated (above the heart) by a head rest (extra pillow) during the first two nights after Surgery. Ice may be applied to the cheek intermittently (20 minutes on 20 minutes off) for the first 12 hours as you are able.
- Slight bleeding and oozing is to be expected for up to 48 hrs after surgery. If bleeding is excessive, place gauze on the site and bite down firmly for 30-45 minutes. If the bleeding does not stop after doing this, please call our office.
- Refrain from vigorous rinsing. After each meal, the mouth should be thoroughly and gently rinsed with a salt water solution (1 level teaspoon in 8 oz. of warm water).
- Alcohol free or diluted commercial mouth washes (half water, half mouthwash) may be used to rinse your mouth after every meal.
- Dentures may NOT be worn until refitted or relined by the dentist or fit is confirmed by the surgeon. If a prosthetic appliance was provided, please remove and clean daily.
- Please avoid the use of topical agents such as hydrogen peroxide, essential oils, and over the counter numbing agents unless approved by the surgeon.
- Keep exercise to a minimum after surgery. Do not engage in sports such as scuba diving, surfing, or snorkeling until approved by the surgeon.
Following the above instructions is essential for proper healing. Please call our office at San Luis Obispo Office Phone Number 805-541-5611 if you have any questions or any unusual occurrences related to the healing of the area (24 hour answering service).